For the research project OpenWebSearch.eu, funded by the European Commission, we are looking for you as a
Research Associate Community and Governance Building (f/m/x) full-time
As part of the OpenWebSearch.eu research project, we are working with 13 renowned European universities and data centres to develop the foundations for a European Internet search: open, transparent and distributed.
For this purpose, data centres provide computing capacities and index the web jointly. This way, no new server farms are needed – which means: less costs and better for the environment. Instead, we use the power of the many and jointly promote the European digital sphere. In the spirit of “Together. For a better net.”
Do you share our passion for strengthening European sovereignty in the digital sphere? Then we look forward to receiving your application!
What you can expect at the Open Search Foundation
As a Research Associate, you will work independently on projects in the areas of Open Search Ecosystem/Community Building, Governance, Training, Social Aspects and Networking.
You will also help to expand the Open Search network with research institutions, data centres, industry, start-ups and the open source community, as well as with decision-makers in politics and administration.
Furthermore, the following tasks belong to your area of work:
- Design and management of the project task “Open Seach Ecosystem Building”.
- Designing and organising strategic networking events and expert workshops
- Supporting the acquisition and winning over of organisations and associations for the further expansion and operation of the Open Search infrastructure
- Approach and involve experts from different fields (e.g. libraries, experts in data curation and research data communities).
- Developing and evaluating open search governance
- Supporting the team in project management and in the organisation and implementation of calls for proposals for third-party funded projects.
What do you bring to the job?
First of all: For us, a match with our values and your motivation is more important than you having already gained in-depth professional experience in all of the areas mentioned below.
- You have a university degree (Master’s) or similar professional training, for example in the fields of business informatics, information management, digital marketing, digital media, digital humanities, media informatics, governance, public/international policy, economics/economics …
- You are well versed in the field of internet/digitalisation/media and find the interface between technology and society exciting.
- You like to work independently and conceptually and are a top organiser and communicator.
It is important to us that you think and act in an interdisciplinary way, which is why we place great value on teamwork and an open atmosphere.
- You have a very good command of written and spoken German and English. You are able to write and edit a range of different materials: Reports, briefing papers, blog posts and statements for different target groups.
- Ideally, you will also have experience in European/international cooperation and domain knowledge in the field of open search/digital media/internet/governance.
We particularly welcome applications from people who contribute to the diversity of the Open Search Foundation. We also welcome career changers and returners!
What do we offer?
- The chance to work on one of the most exciting, future-oriented European projects.
- Work in a committed, dynamic team and cooperation with renowned partners from research, politics, business and administration
- 30 days’ holiday (pro rata if you work part-time)
- Salary depending on qualifications, up to E13 based on “TvöD-Bund” *
- High work-life balance with flexible working hours and opportunities for mobile working
* TVÖD = Collective agreement for public service at federal and municipal level
Table TVÖD: https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner/tvoed/bund?id=tvoed-bund-2022&matrix=1
Salary calculator: https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner/tvoed/bund?id=tvoed-bund-2022