Goals of the Economy Working Group
- Identify the potential economic impact and operating models of an open search infrastructure.
- Evaluate the impact and benefits of an independent open search infrastructure and its ecosystem as a “common good” for the EU economy.
- Develop a sustainable and promising business model for the open search infrastructure.
- Define potential commercial models for the paid use of an open search index (e.g. pay per use, license fees, etc.).
- Facilitate & integrate business and policy to collaborate, co-develop and invest in a next generation Open Search infrastructure
Whitepaper economic value
(in kick-off phase)
Initiate and establish a whitepaper project to outline the economic outcomes, impacts and inputs of a neutral search infrastructure for European economies.
We aim to work on three “deliverable” packages:
1. economic impact
a. What would such a neutral, economically uncompromised access to internet information mean for the European economies?
b. What economic effects can we foresee and envisage?
c. What are the value added and impact on entrepreneurship, equity and economic parameters (e.g. GDP, inclusive market growth, competitiveness)?
2. operational business model
a. What would an operational business model for an open source search infrastructure look like in concrete terms and how would it be established in terms of market participants?
b. How can access for companies to this digital infrastructure be realised?
c. What investments or financing are required?
3. investment model
a. What kind of (e.g. private-public) investment models could preserve the neutral fundamental developments while creating a hub for business applications and innovation?
b. What measures for the economic safeguarding of the “common” good can be derived from all this?
This is how we work
Our meetings are structured as project updates followed by open discussions and agile planning for the upcoming month through a Kanban board approach.
Anyone with knowledge, experience or interest in working on the above mentioned topics is cordially invited to join us and contribute their ideas.
Meetings: Bi-weekly project meetings on Wednesdays at 5 pm (GMT +2)