Our topics and projects
The Ethics working group ensures that the goals of the Open Search Foundation are achieved on the basis of the European core values. This requires the definition and exploration of ethical questions, the embedding of ethical values and ongoing critical support. Finding, discussing and anchoring these values is what the Ethics Section provides the impetus for in a professional community, but also in the public. In addition, framework conditions for the ongoing safeguarding of ethical values are to be established.
Goals of the Ethics Working Group
- Build an interdisciplinary, international #ethicsinsearch community
- Initiate research into the ethics of internet search and lay the foundations for #ethicsinsearch
- Develop an ethical framework for internet search (ethics by design)
- Ongoing monitoring of the development of search index and internet searches
- Coining and anchoring terms like #search engine ethics, #ethicsinsearch, #searchethics
- “Feeding” the other specialist groups of the Open Search Foundation with topics and results from the ethical discourse
- Initiate public ethical discourse / awareness #ethicsinsearch
This is how we work
We invite interested people in universities, schools and companies across Europe and beyond to contribute to a more ethical internet search. Are you a researcher with a focus on digital ethics, ethics of AI, philosophy/sociology of technology, humanism in tech innovation, digital humanities? Do you deal with (ethical) aspects of digital transformation, technology impact assessment, technology sustainability, social aspects of search engines, search engine bias? Are you active in the area of corporate digital responsibility of a company?
Do you have questions? Want to join us?
Great! Please send a mail to
#ethicsinsearch: A Values Compass for the Internet Search
Fair, transparent, diverse. This is what the internet search of the future should look like.—That is why the Open Search Foundation is committed to the creation of an open search index and is launching the #ethicsinsearch project. Funded by the Mercator Foundation, it is intended to provide the values-based foundations for the new “Internet index”.