Our topics and projects
The Tech Group works in a networked way via workshops, conferences and expert meetings. It ensures that the initial ideas for creating and experimentally testing relevant software and system components in the area of Open Search are validated and further developed. In an ongoing exchange, the many experts involved identify and test new research approaches. In this way, an architecture is created for building an open, transparent Internet search, which is then collectively implemented for Europe.
Goals of the Tech Working Group
The Tech Working Group consists of web technology experts, engineers, developers, and researchers with the goal to
- conduct in-depth technical discussions on crawling, search technologies, indexing and other hot topics related to open search,
- coordinate individual projects and experiments for advancing open search,
develop a joint roadmap and explore different approaches for realising open search,
- coordinate technology development and
- apply to potential funding opportunities for our development
Technical fields of work
- Crawling / Bot development
- Indexing / Parsing
- Frontend / Interfaces
- Geocoding / Visualization
OpenWebSearch.eu is currently our flagship project for conducting the heavy technology lifting. 14 renowned European research and computer centers joined forces to develop an open European infrastructure for web search. The European Commission has approved the project’s Horizon Europe funding of 8,5 million euros.
Open Console is an NLNet funded project that aims to combine information from owners, webmasters and third-parties on a single website. This includes for example legal information, licensing information, spam information and many more.
A potential key building block of an Open Search infrastructure: The Serci SearchEngine project will provide an open-source web search engine. When fully deployed, the Serci Suite will consist of a WebCrawler, an Indexer with index tools, and a query server.
Neuropil™ cybersecurity mesh
The neuropil™ cybersecurity mesh is an approach to establish security and privacy by design principles by default into every IT landscape. Search as a fundamental capability for IT systems has been established in a NGI ZeroDiscovery project with the help of the nlnet foundation.
This is how we work
- The Working Group meets online once a month. Here, we discuss the issues mentioned above.
- The working group also maintains an internal Gitlab system for coordinating individual development efforts.
- Anybody with R&D expertise and / or interest is more than welcome to join the Working Group and to listen in to our sessions.