“Ad trackers are out of control. Use a browser that reins them in”:
Wired presents several alternative browsers that put user privacy high on the list of their priorities.
Read the full article at wired.com:
The Internet Health Report offers basic information about Internet “health” and tips for better use, which we can all implement quite easily. For example:
- Protect yourself and your devices with strong passwords and two-factor authentication.
- Always update your computer and phone software as soon as a security update is available to protect yourself and those around you.
- Learn how to identify online abuse, and what your rights are if you or someone you know is harassed online. You can also assist or volunteer with organizations that support victims.
- Explore what kinds of data companies like Google and Facebook are collecting about you, and select privacy settings you’re comfortable with. Try a data detox?
- Improve your ‘crap detection’ skills and try to verify photos and videos before you share. Educate yourself about economic incentives that drive some misinformation.
- Make sure the website you own or administer is accessible only via https (encrypted). You can run a test here. If it’s not, contact your hosting provider.
- Help support free and open voice technology by donating your voice recordings to the Common Voice project to teach machines how real people speak.
- Identify open source software you use regularly and support them with time, money or thanks. For example, you can edit Wikipedia or MDN Web docs or review code.
You can read all tips here:
Open Search Foundation e.V.
The Open Search Foundation e.V. is a European movement of people and organisations that work together to create the foundation for independent, free and self-determined access to information on the Internet. In cooperation with research institutions, computer centres and other partners, we’re committed to a searching the web in a way that benefits everyone. The promotion of research in the field of search engines, plus education and cooperation, form the pillars of our work.